Dinajpur (দিনাজপুর জেলা) is a district of northern part of Bangladesh under Rangpur division. It’s the largest district among all sixteen northern district of the country. The district has 13 upazilas including Biral, Birampur, Birganj, Chirirbandar, Dinajpur Sadar, Ghoraghat, Hakimpur, Kaharole, Khansama, Nawabganj, Parbatipur and Fulbari Upazila.
Dinajpur is surrounded by Panchagarh and Thakurgaon districts in the north, and south with Gaibandha and Jaypurhat. The total area of the district is approximately 3,437.98 square kilometers. The rivers of the districts are Dhepa, the Punarbhaba, and the Atrai rivers.
Dinajpur district’s climate is typically hot and humid tropical climate which average temperature is between 29 °C to 38 °C during summer from May to July. But during cold season average temperature falls to 4 °C to 18 °C from October to December.
Dinajpur is a famous district for rice production. The World famous rice “Katharivog” also produced here. A huge number of people are here depending on Agri Based products. The best and high quality Lychee of the country produced here. Also it grows super quality and tasty Mangoes. The farmers of this district also grows plenty of vegetables and wheat.
How to go
Dinajpur transportation system is very much updated. You can travel here by road, train or by air. If you are traveling from Dhaka by road, you will get many bus services such as Shyamoli Paribahan, Hanif Enterprise and Nabil Paribahan. Also you can fly with Biman Bangladesh Airlines, US-Bangla Airlines and Novoair to Sayedpur domestic airport, from Sayedpur it will take about 50min to reach Dinajpur.
Some popular places to visit
- Ramsagar – the largest and oldest manmade water reservoirs in Bangladesh
- Shopnopuri – An artificial amusement park
- Kantajew Temple – A late medieval Hindu temple
- Shita Coat Bihar – The oldest Buddhist Bihar in the world in Nawabganj
- Singra forest – Birganj
- Nayabad Mosque – Kaharol
- Gorashohid Boro-Moydan
- Ananda Sagar
Educational Institution in Dinajpur
- Hajee Mohammad Danesh Science and Technology University
- M Abdur Rahim Dinajpur Medical College and Hospital
- Amena – Baki Residential Model School & College
- Dinajpur Government College~দিনাজপুর সরকারি কলেজ
- Dinajpur Zilla School
- Saint Philip’s High School & College
- Dinajpur Govt. Mohila College – দিনাজপুর সরকারী মহিলা কলেজ
- Dinajpur Govt. Girls High’ School